Monday, August 18, 2008

North Bed




This is one of the new beds I made this spring. Previously it contained 3 large rose shrub bushes that would grow at a ridiculously fast pace and the more they were pruned back, the harder and faster they'd grow! And thorns! Holy cow there were thorns! I hated those bushes. I wanted a bed that was low maintenance, no thorns and colorful.






I planted gladiola bulbs in the back of the bed for height, and used 2 white mini azalea shrubs as the focal point. I found some lovely red-orange-yellow lantana to plant along the sides of the azalea with yellow-orange daisy-like plants in front of them and white geraniums to replace the primroses that just didn't work there.









This varigated azalea was tranferred from the herb bed near the patio after I found the poor thing underneath my rosemary and oregano plants! I'd totally forgotten it was there and I will say that he's very happy with the move. He even sprouted numerous blooms and has grown 5 inches in just a few months. He get the center of the bed.




I am very happy with the progress so far this summer. The glads happened to bloom with a yellow-orange combination (except for the 2 end blooms which are purple) and it seems like that has become the theme of the flowers...it worked out just fine!

No comments: