Thursday, August 14, 2008

Backyard Redo 08

I like to garden. I find pulling weeds and planting things to be very therapeutic...calming and enjoyable. I like to have color and picking and working with plants makes me happy! So, this year I decided we were going to have a garden. My kids have been asking to have one for awhile and I figured it would be nice to have some of our own produce to eat and enjoy. I also figured that I needed to transplant the roses that are against the fence since they appeared to be less than healthy and needed a more welcoming place to call home.



This is my backyard prior to the landscaping. The big round circle was actually dug out of the grass to place an inflatable pool. We had one for year and then it got holes in it and we didn't get a new one. The post is part of an arbor that is a hideous red stained thing!




This is the far end of the concrete patio. The beds along the fence contain hydrangea and lilac and some herbs I planted and pots I've put out for color. One thing to note is that the guy who originally owned my house planted trees and shrubs like a mad man! Without regard for how much space each plant needed or how large the trees would get! And...there was very little color other than..green. That needed to be changed.




Here are the wonderful raised beds my friend built for me. They are 16 feet by 4 feet and all 3 fit very nicely into that large pool circle we carved out before. The bed against the fence has had all the roses removed and relocated and I've planted lupines and raspberry bushes there.



Here are 3 of the roses we transplanted to the south side of the house. Within 1 week all of the plants were blooming and have continued to produce prolific blooms all summer long and have grown to 3 times the size they were when against the fence! I'm thankful I didn't just yank them out and throw them away and buy new ones. I have also have 10 or so pots along the concrete patio with an abundance of colorful flowers...but wait till you see the front and north side beds!!

No comments: