Monday, August 18, 2008

Daughter #1



Lindzay Brooke Irving is the oldest of my 4 kids and by far the most dynamic so far. Lindzay has very diverse interests and abilities and she continues to amaze me on a daily basis. She is gifted in many ways, especially in the arts. She loves to sing and to act and happens to be enormously talented in both.

She has been in numerous plays, both through school and through semi-professional theatre. Her most recent plays were Thoroughly Modern Millie (of which she played Millie)...



and the Taming of the Shrew. In the Shrew she once again jumped into the role of the old man (sorry, can't remember the name). She did this before when she played Polonius in another Shakespeare play...it was hilarious and made the play a hit...both times!







Lindzay graduated from high school this past June which opens a new chapter of her life as a young woman. She is totally excited to go to Oregon State University with Engineering as her major and also she will be part of the Honours College. Lindzay has talents in sciences and maths as well. So she is a very rounded, expressive and hard working young lady! Whenever her brother or sister need help- I send them her way...unfortunately her talent with math isn't a gene I can say came from me!!




My daughter has a strong sense of self and very strong self esteem. This allowed her to participate in a project she felt very strongly about-- shaving her hair for Dornbecher Children's Hospital for cancer research. She helped raise $3000 by volunteering to have her hair shaved off. I had tears in my eyes I was so proud of her!



She's always had such a nice little head! Even as a baby her head was perfect. And damn she looks good bald!!


Another great memory for Lindzay and for us was watching her be a part of Spring Court this year. She picked out orange as her dress color and I thought--Orange??!! But she pulled it off and looked stunning.




She also volunteered her little sister to be part of the Spring Court and Tici also got to dress up and wear a long flowing gown and get her hair done. Tici emulates Lindzay in many ways and she felt so grown up in her roll and enjoyed spending special time with her big sis.



The icing on the cake for all of us was when Lindzay and her good friend and SpringFest partner, Jay, were nominated Prom king and queen! She didn't expect it and when it finally sunk in--the tears came for her and for me! I'm the mom of not only the Wicked Witch of the West (her very first real acting role), but the Prom Queen! I count my blessings every day and delight in watching my daughter change and grow into a remarkable young woman. What a great gift to have her in my life.

No comments: