Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Gift of Friends...





I have been blessed in this lifetime with the gift of wonderful friends. People who have been there for me even when I didn't know I needed them to be. People who are closer in my heart to family than many of my own blood relatives. People who I will love and cherish always. Two of those people are Marsha and Lenny. I met Marsha through work. We started our jobs at the same time and went through our orientation together. I was drawn to her sense of humor, her enthusiasm for life and the caring way she talks about Lenny, the love of her life. Marsha has a way of looking at things that smack you upside of the head without actually smacking you! She is hopeful, realistic and non-judgemental and she helped me immensely during the time in my life when I was desperately unhappy and my marriage was falling apart. She was a terrific support person for me. Lenny is a great match for Marsha! He is always willing to try anything and he and Marsha have a great deal of fun living life to the fullest. I don't know Lenny as well as I know Marsha, but as we spend more time together I appreciate him for his loving support of my dear friend, his sense of humor, and his adventurous spirit!



Today was a difficult day for Marsha. We all felt her pain and her loss and only hope that knowing we cared and were there for her helped make her day a little easier. It is difficult for us nurses to accept that we need the hugs and support of others...we spend every day giving and caring to everyone else...we play down or shrug off our need to be supported as a rule, but today I gave hugs and tears to a dear friend who needed it and I know she would do the same for me...that is a gift to cherish.

No comments: