Saturday, September 13, 2008

By The Seat of My Pants



I enjoy cooking. I like to create dishes that are loaded with fresh ingredients, simple to prepare and have a European ring to them. What is frustrating for some of my friends and family, is that I cook like my grama--mostly without a recipe and go by the seat of my pants with what I add. So, I thought I'd try and photograph my ingredients and steps and make my really great finds easier for others to duplicate. This one is a great tasting, very quick prep fish dish.
First, I've cut up (and I do mean "I" cut up--I don't own a food processor, mandolin-though I'd love one--or anything...just a really sharp knife!) some chantrelles that I have lightly moistened and wiped dry with a paper towel. Tip: Never immerse mushrooms in water (unless you are using dried mushrooms) or they get yucky and soggy.




I have a whole vidalla onion and 2 cloves of garlic. I love garlic and use a lot of it. The onion will be sliced in 1/2 rings and saved for the next dish. The garlic will be chopped finely with a very sharp knife, not crushed.



I have added about 2 tbsp of olive oil and about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of butter to a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.



In go the chopped garlic pieces



My chosen fish for this dish is a beautiful piece of halibut. I've seasoned it with kosher salt, black pepper, dill and lemon juice. Place in the garlic/butter/olive oil mixter and cover. Turn heat to medium.

No comments: