Sunday, September 7, 2008

Au revoir Bastien



It is really amazing how certain people can touch our lives just by being who they are. We had the great pleasure of having Bastien come and stay with us for 5 weeks (An extra week gained by a missing passport found 2 days after his orginal flight date!) and I regret very much that he has returned to France:(

Bastien is truly a wonderful young man! I applaud his parents for helping to create such a kind, considerate, gentle, respectful, generous and sweet person that is Bastien. I have grown to adore him and feel very lucky having been allowed to get to know him and to care for him like one of my own children. He brought laughter, excitement and vitality to our home and I can only say that I wish he could have been here longer.


I am happy for the experiences he had while he was here. He became friends with our dog, Bosco after a rather rocky start...Bosco wasn't at all sure about Bastien and those very, very poofy pants! He has a style that is all his own and he is very comfortable with who he is- a lot like my daughter and I believe that has a lot to do with why they get along so well. Lindzay took him to more movies in 5 weeks than he has seen in 5 years! He went wake-boarding and tubing on the boat with the kids and their dad and really enjoyed that. He also tried kayaking with Lindzay and Kate,went hiking and managed to make it to OSU to see where Lindzay will be going to school. I do regret not being able to take him to the beach (the weather was not very nice) or to Seattle, but that leaves places for the next time he comes.


Every morning he greeted us with a pleasant "good morning" and was an adventurous eater. He tried everything that was placed on the table! I love that and he even found a few things that he really enjoyed. Bastien helped Deza with learning her French and he didn't even laugh (not too hard, anyway!) at my pronounciation and attempts at French which is very rusty to say the least!


Bastien has touched us all with his visit this year...his true kind and accepting character is such a joy to see when all you hear these days is how difficult teens are. He was a great example for my son of how to behave and to treat his sisters (and Bastien didn't hesitate to point out some rude behaviors!). He was great for Lindzay. Bastien tempered her often volatile personality. He helped me every day he was here, even if all he did was put his plate in the dishwasher and thank me for the meal. I knew he appreciated it and the thanks was heart felt.


I will miss him very much and hope the next time we see him he will have fulfilled his desire to be chosen as one of the select few to craft artisanal violins. Who knows--one day I may get to say I knew one of the greatest violin artists in the world!


Take care Bastien and we love you!!


Gros Bisoux.

No comments: