Sunday, August 14, 2011

Willamette Writers Conference







I attended my first writers conference last weekend and loved it!  It was exciting (so many published, respected authors in one place just to SHARE what they know with pee-on mortals like me!!), nerve wracking (how can I possibly write as good as they do, let alone well enough to get published?), humbling (it really is terribly hard finding your voice) and exhilarating (these authors are investing in us, sharing their knowledge and wealth of experience to help us reach our goals).

I was walking on air.  I attended workshops by Eric Witchey, Leigh Ann Jasheway (first improv class I ever took), Jill Kelly (best information on self editing), Bob Dugoni & Halli Ephron (absolutely invaluable classes), and the most inspiring to me, Lidia Yuknavitch. She was the most real, the most open, the one who spoke to me the most.  Funny thing was, I wasn't even going to take her workshop. I was supposed to be taking another one by Dugoni, but something drew me into her room.



This wonderful woman writes with prose so beautiful it cuts through to your soul. Its honest, its poetic, is visually stunning and its painful...I hope to write a fraction a well as she does.  I bought her book, The Chronology of Water, and am devouring every word. I recommend you go get it too.  It will touch you, move you, shock you and change you... I would love to take a writing class from her.


Honestly, I learned more in 2 days of workshops than I could learn in 2 years of struggling on my own.  The next conference runs from August 3-5 of 2012 & I will be there, hopefully with manuscripts in hand and pitches to give.  Wish me luck!

No comments: